Monday, February 7, 2011

Why I've Never Started a Blog

Too much pressure.

For me, the writing process is a burden. Even if the piece is intended for a well-known audience - a professor, a girl, a family member - the possibility of misinterpretation exists. And, after reading my thoughts, they could laugh at me. You never know.

That's why every word is of vital importance. I'm forced to give myself deadlines when they're not already stipulated. Otherwise, I'll continue to revise and keep my work a secret forever. This is for a known audience; when it comes to blogging, and potentially allowing a multitude of strangers access to my private mental space, the pressure multiplies.

But it's not just pressure I place on myself as a writer. I'm a critical reader as well. I've been reserved about embracing this "web 2.0" phenomenon (if that's the classification that Facebook, Twitter, and the infinite number of blogs fall under) because I don't believe that everyone capable of using a keyboard has something worthwhile to post. So when it comes to creating a blog entry, the burden of presenting something fresh and stimulating at times leaves me with debilitating writer's block.  Add the fact that my anthropology professor, responsible for assigning this blog, cautioned that my entries will be scrutinized by potential employers, and there you have a recipe for the perfect blank page.

Yet there are many positives to this new medium. For one, starting a blog has inspired extracurricular research, just to ensure I contribute something interesting and view-worthy to the "blogosphere." This particular site will be dedicated to promoting the scientific research of entheogens, or hallucinogenic substances used for sacramental, spiritual, religious, and medicinal purposes. I believe this emerging field of study will provide the key to understanding the way our minds communicate with the natural world.

At some point I would also like to incorporate cultural differences/similarities of sexual practices, given that I can do this without overextending myself and without risking coherency.

It's both a terrifying and exciting endeavor.

2 comments:

I feel this. I wanted to post some Terence Mckenna the other day, but was hesitant due to the future employers thing and just what others will think. This is a topic I am passionate about as well and I feel it is too important to be overlooked.

Not to use hyperbole, but I really believe your fear to post the writings and lectures of a brilliant scientist is a microcosm of all the problems ingrained within Western culture. The fact that - although this is changing and a trend that I hope to see continue - the government invests little to no money for this type of research is troubling. Understanding how these universal psychedelic experiences affect consciousness would enhance all academic subjects. Ancient botanical recipes in conjunction with perfected shamanic rituals have proven to be of great medicinal value. When respected and controlled, there's nothing to fear.

Thanks for my first comment and I hope to post links to some related videos and documentaries soon.

Post a Comment